Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Max's Quilt

Well, Max's quilt is finally done! This was quite an interesting process, and took a long time, partly due to losing a place to sew part way through the project (a couple of times!)! First I went through all of the baby clothes provided by Max's mom, looking for interesting motifs that would make nice memories for Max's mom, as well as provide visual interest in the quilt. The motifs were then cut out and stabilized, and joined to plain denim pieces by machine piecing. Some motifs were too small, so these were hand appliqued to the quilt top. Then, I added lots of brightly colored buttons to the quilt top (it's ok, Max is well beyong the age to eat buttons!). The entire quilt top was then backed and bound with recycled fleece fabric to make the quilt cozy and warm for snuggling. The entire piece is twin bed sized. I hope Max gets many years of enjoyment from it!

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Wedding Gown

So, for the past several weeks, I've been consumed with sewing a wedding gown for a client... the lesson learned in the process was not to try to do such a big project in such a short period of time again (stay tuned to see if I actually learned the lesson, or if it's just the PTSD talking). I had three scant weeks, start to finish, soup to nuts, concept to finished gown! The gown itself was not a problem and the bride was lovely (no bridezillas here), but several aspects of the dress gave me fits. If I had it to do again, the skirt would have been attached differently so that the belt would lie the way I wanted it to. Also, the hand embroidered celtic knot, in the wedding colors of royal blue and emerald green, was WAY more time consuming than I thought it would be - yes, that very simple looking little knot, took hours. My favorite parts of the dress were the chiffon cloak, which took the place of a veil, and the way more chiffon overlaid cotton to make the perfect shade of ivory for the dress.
Now that that project is complete, I'm turning my sights back toward a major project I began over a year ago for a friend. It's a quilt made from discarded baby clothing, and I have to say, it's coming out super! Check back soon for pictures!