Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Friday, August 24, 2012

Estate Sale Booty

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this to you before... I LOVE ESTATE SALES! I had to take a time out today and do something non-wedding related, so I hit an estate sale! and OMG! I came away with the most amazing haul!

First, it's important to note that I got everything you are seeing here, and more, for a total of $15! Yes, that's right, $15!  That high pitched noise you hear is me squealing in delight.

First up, a nearly mint copy of the Better Homes and Gardens Sewing book from the sixties... AWESOME!




The, a ginormous box containing hundreds of patterns...


as well as a few odds and ends.  There were a small collection of notions,


and a little pile of iron on embroidery patterns.


As well as about a half dozen cooperative extension publications on sewing.


The patterns are fantastic.  Most are used, so I'll need to go through them to be sure they are intact, etc.  Many I will put to good use myself, others, I will sell, and still others will be part of a really cool give-away in the not too distant future.  Not only were some of these from the pattern companies we know, like Simplicity, Vogue and McCall, but there were a fair number of Advance and Hollywood, and some awesome mailorder ones.  Best of all, most of these are close to my size, so, for the ones I keep, there'll be relatively little drafting up and down.





Most of the patterns were addressed to Miss Adorna Wheelock... Adorna... what a unique and interesting name, especially for a sewist!  There were some handwritten notes on some of the patterns, like these:



As I said, some of these may be missing pieces, and some have some tearing on the pattern envelopes, but what a find, yes?  Do any of these strike your fancy?

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS, YOU LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY LADY!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really psyched about this find. When the guy only wanted $15 for everything I even forgot to try to haggle... It was just too good.

      Delete
  2. A whole box full of patterns. That is awesome! And the best thing about it is the lovely time you will have sitting down sorting through them all. Enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! A rainy day, a cup of tea, and me with my patterns!

      Delete
  3. omgoodness I envy your talent for finding great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just persistence! I go to many sales and come away with nothing, or very little, but once in a while you hit the jackpot... I guess it would be a little like playing slot machines... Once in a while lightening strikes.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful selection of patterns. I have a later edition of the BHG sewing book - its one of my favourites. The pictures on the patterns are lovely, I could sit and look at the pictures for ages and ages daydreaming !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would comment... but I can't speak cos I am drooling too much... all those patterns!!! You lucky thing!

    ReplyDelete