Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Book Review:The Colette Sewing Handbook by Sarai Mitnick

Due to being a tad financially challenged this past year, I'm possibly the last person on earth to get a copy of the Colette Sewing Handbook. Actually, it's by serendipity that I was able to get it now. My son gave me a Barnes &Noble gift card the Yule before last and I found it, unspent, in a drawer the other day as I was doing some spring housecleaning. So, I decided to indulge one of my weaknesses and buy some books.

This book was well worth the wait! This is a beginner's dream sewing book because it not only shows techniques, but it allows you to sew along with the five included patterns and learn, or review, techniques as you go. The photography is terrific and shows the sewing details with the same clarity and quality that one finds on the Colette website.

Unlike other sewing books released recently, the patterns included with this book are lovely. Adaptable to many different figure types, they can be used as is for an elegant, classic wardrobe, or used as bases for more elaborate creations. Sarai Mitnick is a true inspiration. Her designs are timeless and enduring and can be worn by a variety of ages and figure types. I can't wait to make each of these patterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment