Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Monday, January 6, 2014

The New Old Machines

So, it’s been a very long while since I blogged.  I really have missed it, and my plan is to begin again this year.  So much has happened since I was last here.  I think I let life overwhelm me a little.  I pretty much stopped sewing last year for a while because my husband and I bought a new home.  I’ve been spending tons of time on decorating our 140 year old Victorian.  We live in an older section of our little city, and Victorians abound.


We've been doing a lot of work on the house, and I'll post a few of our makeovers and DIYs.


But before I get to that, I wanted to tell you about my very special Yule gifts!  I got, not one, but two wonderful antique singer sewing machines.  These machines are in terrific condition and date from the very early 1900s.  Both are housed in Cabinet Table No. 6,  though they have their differences, which I will elaborate on.  The first is in a lovely oak cabinet.  In researching the serial number, it was manufactured in Elizabeth, NJ in 1910. 







And of course the drawers were not empty!



The second machine dates to August of 1915.  It, too is a model 66 machine, but it is electric - a Singer motor was added later.  Both machines sport the "Red Eye" decal set very popular at that time. What really makes this machine special is that the cabinet is pristine birdseye maple!

 




 This one came with some swag as well, including the original manuals!



I hope you all had wonderful holiday seasons, no matter what you celebrate!  I hope it was merry and bright!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back - so good to see that you are blogging again! And what fabulous Christmas gifts - who doesn't love a treadle?! When I bought my one, I was probably more excited about the threads, buttons and accessories in the drawers as I was with the actual machine and cabinet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great to be back! I know what you mean about the supplies... it was so much fun to see what was saved in those drawers!

      Delete