Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Friday, March 30, 2012

Completed Project: Armistice Blouse


Today's reveal is of the Armistice Blouse by Folkwear Patterns.  I was inspired to make this blouse as a 1912 Titanic Anniversary commemorative piece, with a little Downton Abbey envy thrown in for good measure.  Specifically, this was a dry run of Lady Mary's beautiful cream version of this blouse.  I plan to do another now, more closely resembling the one worn by Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary.


I made several modifications to this pattern.  First, I did away with the front button closure.  I wanted a more casual version.  Second, I did go with shorter sleeves, and will go even shorter next time as I try to recreate the Lady Mary blouse.  Third, I did not use a self fabric waist tie, instead opting for grosgrain ribbon in a coordinating shade of lilac.  Fourth, Instead of using gathering stitches at the back of the blouse, I used elastic.  Here's my blouse.  I really did try to take pictures of myself in it, so to prove that here's one... when I get the skirt done I'll get a long suffering family member to take pictures, honest.


And now, here's Betty with the remainder of the modeling duties.



Here is the detail on the back elastic.


And here are some shots of the inside of the blouse, so that you can see the french seams.  Here's the side seam.


And here is an internal view of the armscye.


I know, if I didn't tell you what it was, you might not know, right?  And here's the inside of the blouse front.


So, I will definitely be making this pattern again.  It came together easily, though I admit to ignoring most of the sewing instructions because of the modifications I made.  Please let me know what you think, and as always, I appreciate you reading what I am doing.

6 comments:

  1. I think it turned out really nice.

    Stopping by from the Friday Hop to say hello.
    POSH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping in, and thanks for your thoughts on my blouse!

      Delete
  2. I loved seeing your Armistice blouse! I have my grandmother's 400-page 1916 diary, written the year she turned 21. She often writes about sewing, so it's fun to see what you've made. My blog entries always include her diary, if you'd like to check it out:
    http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/08/spool-quilt-block.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I love your idea of including your grandmother's diary entries in your blog! Terrific tribute! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great. Lady Mary has the best blouses. I can't wait to see your cream version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! We loved having you join us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope to see you again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete