Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Next Project: Simplicity 2249

Sorry for the relative quiet over the past couple of days.  I've been busy attending to real life, but things are looking up in that arena, so all is well with the world!

For my next project, I'm going to do Simplicity 2249.  This dress is slightly reminiscent of a forties swing style, but is a modern pattern, with modern sensibilities.


I got some used bedsheets and an old table cloth at an earlier garage sale.  They coordinate together nicely, so these are the fabrics I intend to use on this dress.


I hope it will be a cute, summery dress.  Have you ever used bedsheets in any of your dresses or other creations?  How did they turn out?

9 comments:

  1. Those two fabrics will go so well together. I'm looking forward to seeing the dress! And yes, I use all sorts of recycled fabrics for my "kick around" clothing. I think it is so much fun to give the fabric a new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using the gingham in a kind of understated way. The main fabric will be the flowered percale. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fabrics!!
    I have used sheets several times and I have always been happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! I,ve seen a few sheet to garment projects that have looked nice, so I was hoping to hear some encouraging words.

      Delete
  3. hmm used bed sheets??? I dont think so kind of digusting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only fabric... The sheets have of course been washed. Once before they went into the yard sale, and once by me before cutting. Do you ever sleep in hotels?

      Delete
  4. when i do i bring my own... i dont know who slept where, my opion, sorry if you are offened..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in the least. You are entitled to your opinion. Life's too short to worry about disagreeing over something so benign. Peace.

      Delete
  5. Found this project after seeing your comment on Justine's blog...and I am obviously totally with you on the non-ickiness of used sheets! This is such a cute combination of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete