Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Wednesday, February 1, 2012

In the Interim

I'm stalled on my sailor dress, waiting to find just the right buttons.  So, in the interim, I decided to share another of my thrifted vest upcycles.  These are fun and simple to do.  Find an old men's vest in a thrift sore, and embellish, or alter as you like!  In this case I took a thrifted men's tie with colors that compliment the subtle stripe in the vest and turned it into a ruffle.  I added some burlap flowers and buttons to feminize it.  This can be worn with jeans and a top, over a dress, or with a skirt and blouse!  The materials cost for the vest comes in at about $6.


Also, I wanted to share one of the Yule gifts I made, this one for my son.  It's a simple throw made from his old ice hockey jerseys.  It was fun, easy, and quick to make, which is what I really needed while I was in the throes of gift production.


Hopefully I can acquire the buttons I need over the weekend and get moving on the sailor dress.  I didn't want to start buttonholes until I had the buttons they are intended for in hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment