Saving the planet... one garment at a time!

... and one upcycle at a time... Welcome to my blog: A place to have an "over the fence conversation" about sewing, altered couture, upcycling, and all kinds of crafts using found objects, beads, ephemera and other vintage finds!


Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pipe Me Aboard!

In a fit of synchratic thinking, I thought piping would look nice on my yellow dress project. I've been seeing a lot of projects with piping as an embellishment all over the interwebs. Most of these also show tutorials.  Forgive me if this seems a little redundant to you, but here's my process for making piping.


First, make bias strips, and connect them so that you will have long, continuous strips of piping.


Next, select a plain cord of the appropriate diameter for the piping you want to make.


Place your zipper foot on your machine.  There are also cording feet, but I don't have one of these.


Place the cording in the center of the bias strip and fold over.  Stitch as close to the cording as possible.


And here is the finished piping!  I plan to use this as an accent on Simplicity 2249. What are your favorite embellishments and details?

4 comments:

  1. Love the piping. So cute and easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with the gingham, it was even easier to cut the bias strips... Just follow the diagonal lines!

      Delete
  2. Is the fabric shown what you decided on? I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using this one as an accent fabric with the other flowered one as the main fabric.

      Delete